The concept of social distancing
Social distancing also known as physical distancing which means maintaining space between yourself and others. In order to keep social or physical distancing:
· Stay at least 6 feet other people
· Do not meet in groups
· Stay away from crowded places and avoid big gatherings
How socializing supports virus to spread
COVID-19 spreads mostly among people who are in close contact (within about 6 feet). Spread takes place when an already infected person talks, cough, sneezes and droplets from their nose or mouth are hurled into the air and land in the mouths or noses of people near, these droplets can also be inhaled into the lungs. Therefore, there might be a possibility that a person can get infected by a virus by touching a surface or object that already has the virus on it and then touching their own nose, mouth or eyes.
Therefore, social distancing helps minimize contact with infected people and contaminated surfaces and objects.
Due to the rising number of COVID-19 case, the majority of the countries around the globe are on lockdown, thus avoiding social gatherings, cancelling events and closing schools as well as businesses advising employees to work from home if possible.
How social distancing combats the spread of the virus
The term social distancing simply refers to avoid close contact with people in order to avoid catching the virus yourself and to avoid further passing it on.
Social distancing has turned out to be the most important aspect in order to control in COVID-19 spread. According to the research, the reproductive number of the coronavirus range from 1.4 to 6.5, with an average of 3.3. Thus, the higher the reproductive number, the faster virus will spread.
Experts approved that the COVID-19 is hard to stop, but that it can be slowed by the strong implementation of social distancing measures. Maintain physical distance, will help slow the spread of the virus from asymptomatic people or people who do not know they have caught the virus.
However, the risk of catching the virus may be different for everyone; anyone can get and spread COVID-19. Therefore, every single person has a role to play in slowing the spread of the virus and protecting themselves, their family, and the community.
Few tips for social distancing
· Wear cloth face masks in public
· If you need to shop for food or medicine at the grocery store or pharmacy, maintain at least 6 feet distance from others.
· Prefer the use of mail-order for medications, if possible.
· Prefer online grocery delivery service.
· Avoid large and small gatherings, such as friend’s house, parks, shops, or any other place.
· Work from home if possible.
· Avoid using any sort of public transportation, ridesharing, or taxis.
· In case you are a student adopt options for digital/distance learning.